Forum » Music » The Listening Room » Which 78s still haven't been released on CD?

Share this Topic

Which 78s still haven't been released on CD?

2 36

Slipped through the cracks survey, or, Favorite/Important 78's which STILL haven't been issued on cd?

Nominate your wish list below...

October 7, 2014 8:19 PM PDT
  • Oh but there are LEGIONS! Almost all concertina 78rpms haven't been reissued, and I've got enough for probably 4 or 5 music CDs on my site alone.

But most of all I'd like to hear all the Berliner/Gramophone/G&T non-vocal stuff. It's an impossible wish, but .....

October 10, 2014 4:47 PM PDT
  • I'm still waiting for all of the Edison Diamond discs to be reissued on CD complete! So many hidden treasures...

November 4, 2014 3:09 AM PST
  • Not only is it a tragedy that many 78's have not been digitised and released on CD, many that have been have terrible mastering.  Compression, excessive click/noise removal leaves many CDs sounding without life and musicality.  It is terrible that CD audio fashions for pop releases extend to other areas of music, especially those that need preserving. 
      April 22, 2018 8:22 PM PDT
  • That's quite true. But it's not solely the companies' fault. I think they offer what people want, and that most people want restorations without any noise, as clean as a modern recording. See the Yazoo's apologieson their Frank Stokes CD ! Christopher King still has to refer to the noise on it's Long Gone Sound Productions' epitaph "what the other half hears". But things may have changed though, the transferts on Third Man's The Rise And Fall Of Paramount Records kept flaws alongside the original energy and emotion.

As for the original topic, I'd be delighted to see more Original Memphis Five released. Their Columbias, Victors and most of their Pathés have been well documented, but there are still so much great tracks, released on small labels, that diserve to be heard ! Sad this kind of band is not very fashionable these days...
      April 23, 2018 6:09 AM PDT