Forum » General » Support Forum - Software » Windows Beta Software

Share this Topic

Windows Beta Software

• Are you able to add more than 14 records for this software? I have added up to 25 records but when I close it out after I have saved it it always goes back to 14 records added when I open it again. Thanks.

May 24, 2015 2:27 PM PDT
  • Hi Larry,

No. The software can handle millions of entries if needed. In fact, there is technically no "limit" set in the software, it's more a case of how your system is set up to handle the size of your database...

What version of the software are you using? (Check by opening up the software and select the 'About' window to see the version).

What version of Windows are you using? This will help us to source the problem...

It does, however, sound like the permissions settings in your Windows configuration has changed and it's stopping the software from saving new entries...?

May 24, 2015 7:31 PM PDT
  • Hello Nathan

I'm using windows 8.1 on my computer and Version 2 for windows - 2015 Beta v1B for the software. Checked my system and found it not using windows 8 for this, changed it and I think it will work now.

Thanks 

May 25, 2015 1:49 PM PDT
  • Hi Larry,

Have you managed to add more entries to your database?

May 31, 2015 6:44 PM PDT
  • I looked at my windows and it was not allowing it to do more than the 14. I changed that and it is working fine now. Your suggestion is what worked. Thank you for asking Nathan.

May 31, 2015 8:21 PM PDT
  • What is the "Record Reference" field in the Beta 2.0 software?

June 13, 2015 3:23 PM PDT
  • [blockquote]Robert Keesecker said:

What is the "Record Reference" field in the Beta 2.0 software?

[/blockquote]

Hi Robert,

The "Record Reference" field is a personal cross-referencer which may help you locate or find a 78rpm record in your collection.

You do not need to use it to complete an index entry, though.

For example, you may want to index a 78rpm that you have located on a particular shelve or location within your collection. The "Record Reference" field helps you to easily locate the physical record that matches the entry in your index. Some collectors may have written an index number on each of the sleeves of their physical 78rpm. If so, you can match "your" number to the index entry on our software.

You can use letters, words, numbers or a combination of all. Hope this helps...

June 13, 2015 4:40 PM PDT
  • Great.  Thanks, Nathan.  Kind of like a custom field.  Thanks much.

June 13, 2015 6:14 PM PDT
  • Newbie question: I'm just getting started in collecting and I need information on terminology. In the software, what is "Matrix"? One discography I found list "MX" as one of the columns. The first disc I'm looking at (from the 500 or so that were given to me by an elderlyt neighbor) has two numbers on it. One corresponds to record number in the Capitol discogrphy I found, and I'm guessing the other is "Matrix". MX is missing from the discography entry for this disk, but the second number on the label is in the general range of the others, so maybe that's Matrix? And what does matrix mean?

The disc is Capitol #341. one side has the number (1498) and the other (1035)

Another quick question: I added one record, then went to "View My Catalog". From there I can't seem to get back to the screen that lets me add a second record. Shouldn't there be an "Add Entry" button on the "View/Share" page as well as on the "View My Catalog" page? That's the natural place I went looking for it, but I can't find such a button anywhere. Should I "edit" the exiting record and then add it as a new record? That doesn't seem intuitive. In fact, it scares me to try it for fear "edit" will mess mjup my first record.

I looked at the FAQ for "add a new entry" but that begins at the very screen I can't seem to get to! Adding a new entry from the add a new entry screen is self evident. Getting to the add a new entry screen seems too well hidden.

This post was edited by Gary Shannon at June 15, 2015 1:29 PM PDT
      June 15, 2015 12:51 PM PDT
  • Hi Gary

Regarding matrix number:

A matrix number is an alphanumeric code (and on occasion, other symbols or combination) stamped or handwritten (or a combination of the two) into the run-out groove area of a gramophone record. This is the non-grooved area between the end of the final band on a record's side and the label.

78 rpm records were mostly cut directly to disc. The recording studio would assign a number to the song to be recorded, which would become the main part of the matrix number, and several takes would be made, with the take number inscribed in the matrix area as well or as part of the overall number.

When looking for matrix information on 78 rpm records, care should be taken to examine the label area as well, as some numbers may be coded underneath the label, and are viewable as indentations. In most cases, the matrix number is also printed on the label (often in smaller font under or near the catalog number).

For your example, the Capitol disc you refer to - #341 (is the catalog number) and 1498 (is the matrix number for the 1st side) and 1035 (is the matrix number for the 2nd side).

In the photo below, the matrix number is W8711572A

Regarding View My Catalog:

We've taken on what you've said and have earmarked this for a possible change in the next upgrade to the software. Many thanks for your input.

Basically, what you need to do is:

1. Click the "View My Catalog" on the main page

2. Click the "Close" button to return to the main "View My Catalog" page and then

3. Click the "Catalog" tab to return to the main data entry page.

By the way, don't worry about "editing" any record for fear of messing up your entry. If you end up on the "Edit entry" page and don't want to edit the entry, just click the "cancel" button.

Hope this helps.

June 15, 2015 7:10 PM PDT
  • Nathan, Thanks for that answer.

Re: entering new records, here was my experience:

I couldn't see how to get to a "add new record" page, so I clicked on some random record and selected edit. Then I started adding my new information over the top of the other record, with the intention of selecting "Add as a new record" when I was done. However, I was interupted before I completed this, and when I came back half an hour later to pick up where I had left off, I noticed that I had entered the record number incorrectly, so I corrected it and clicked "Modify". The problem is, I thought I was modifying the new record, but I was, in fact, modifying the old, randomly selected record. The result was not that I added a new record, but that I had deleted some previous record and replaced it. That meant I had to manually go back throught the stack of records I was working with to figure out which one I had inadvertently deleted, and re-entery it.

The "add a record" screen, and the "edit an existing record" screen should be entirely separate. The present arrangement makes human error all too easy. I'm a retired software engineer, but even for me the user interface has to be idiot proof, because even a bright person can make idiotic mistakes on occasion. The interface should be designed in such a way as to make disasterous mistakes difficult, not to facilitate them. Take a look, for example, at Recolector ( http://www.collectingcatalog.com/ ). Play with the free trial and look at the usesr interface and see how difficult it is to accidently delete a record. Then look at how easy it is to accidently delete a record in the beta you have here.

I don't mean to be negative, because I like the idea of having software especially written for 78s, but I found it very frustrating to not be able to access an unambiguous "Add a record" screen. Using the "edit" screen for adding records is just way too dangerous because it is never clear exactly which record you are working on.

I would also like to suggest an additional field "label description" for those little notes to the right of the center hole like "Fox Trot with Vocal Trio". There is no field for that.

This post was edited by Gary Shannon at June 15, 2015 9:04 PM PDT
      June 15, 2015 9:03 PM PDT
  • I figured this forum topic is the most appropriate place to pose this question, which might more accurately be described as a suggestion.  Is there a single source or document which walks a collector - especially a beginner - through the components of a 78 record label?  There is a lot of information about labels here on this site and on the internet, but my search experience is that this information is in pieces and parts.  It is a bit overwhelming for me to figure it all out, which I have not yet successfully accomplished.  Ideally I would like to find a single document with a bullet-point list of each of the components on a label and what they mean ... something like a "78rpm Labels for Dummies" kind of thing.  Maybe it exists and I am missing it?

June 19, 2015 8:46 AM PDT
  •  

This is a difficult topic because there are many label formats.  You may be better off scanning a label and submitting it to the group.  However the example above may help.

The top half of the label is the brand name or the "Label" in discographies and catalogues.  In this case it is English Decca.

This example is a dance band recording.  The song title is the first line below the label name.  The song is "You've Got What Gets Me".  This is followed by the dance style, in this case "Fox-Trot", the most common type of dance song.  There had been many designations in earlier years but Fox-trot became the preferred name for any song in 4/4 time.

The composer credit is next (Gershwin).  This song has lyrics by Ira Gershwin and music by George Gershwin.  In some cases the label will tell us both lyricist and composer but often just the composer, even as in this case, when the record includes a vocal.

The source of the song is given next, in this case the musical comedy "Girl Crazy".

The name of the band follows "Roy Fox And His Band at the Monseigneur Restaurant, London".  The restaurant name is, I think, included as advertising.  The record was not made in the restaurant but in the Decca studios.  This record was made when vocalists were not credited hence (with Vocal Refrain).  In this case it was Al Bowlly. 

GB.4489 is the matrix number.  To have a unique identifier for this particular "take", one needs the take number which does not appear on the label but the matrix and take together appear engraved in the runout area of the record itself.  (In this case GB-4489-2)

The "A" means that Decca designated this side of the record as the A side.  Why they put the A after the matrix and not the record number eludes me.  (The B side was "I Got Rhythm" from the same show.)

The graphic that resembles a postage stamp next to the right of the matrix number indicates that Chappell & Co. were the publishers of the song in sheet music form (in England) and recipients of royalties from Decca.

Further to the right we have the record number F.3014.  This number appeared in catalogues and was used by retailers to track their stock and to order copies from Decca.  It appears on both sides of the record whereas each side has a different matrix number.

This label does not tell us the recording date, recording location or band personnel and it is necessary to refer to a discography or to liner notes on reissues.

I hope this helps,

Regards

John Rogers

June 21, 2015 10:00 PM PDT
  • Has anyone encountered--or solved--the issue I brought up in the "Software Download" topic on May 4 and June 4, where some words are scrunched up and panes overlap in the program? It was suggested that I "drag right angle downwards so it enlarges the window to maximum size." When I do that, however, the window gets bigger - but the scrunched up words and overlapped panes remain the same.

July 2, 2015 9:26 AM PDT
  • Sorry for the delay Bal, but I'm looking into your problem. Thanks for your screen grab, as it makes the problem very obvious. When I update the beta version, I'll add something that detects text overlap and tries to change the font sizes etc. to make everything fit. A possible cause of your problem may be that you've adopted a Windows scheme that imposes a larger or different font on the windows 'look and feel'.

best .. wes

Edit - After making some comparisons, your screen dump shows you are definitely using a larger font.

This post was edited by wes williams at July 2, 2015 4:41 PM PDT
      July 2, 2015 3:47 PM PDT
  • Hi

This isn't really a reply, but I couldn't figure out how to post a new topic. My main problem is the Search function doesn't work.

Generally, it finds nothing, regardless of whether or not I enter an artist, title or label. Occasionally it will find (only) several examples

of a label, rather than the 100s I've entered. Any help would be appreciated. Paul Garon

July 4, 2015 10:24 AM PDT
  • Hi Paul,

Check you've got 'All' selected in the radio boxes. Enter a search term and then press the Search button.

best .. wes

July 4, 2015 12:02 PM PDT
  • That whole row of radio buttons does not appear on my search screen. I am using Version 2 for Windows Beta v1

Paul

July 4, 2015 3:25 PM PDT
  • Paul,

Please press the about button. You should see Version 2 for Windows - 2015 Beta v1B. If you see anything else you are using an older version of the software. The version now available is an improved version of that circulated to beta testers.

This post was edited by wes williams at July 4, 2015 3:59 PM PDT
      July 4, 2015 3:50 PM PDT
  • Just a quick reminder that many of the fields and buttons will show hints if you hover your mouse pointer over them. The image below shows the hint on the modify button when you are editing a existing record.

July 16, 2015 2:27 PM PDT